Tax relief is a Tennessee state law that provides for property tax relief for low-income elderly (must be 65 by 12/31 of the current year) and disabled homeowners, as well as disabled veteran homeowners or their surviving spouse. This is a state program that is funded by appropriations authorized by the General Assembly.
Applications must be completed annually and submitted by the collecting agency.
Where do I apply or get more information on Tax Relief?
- Tax collecting officials, including county trustees, receive applications from taxpayers who may qualify. These applications are sent to the State of Tennessee for approval.
What do I need to apply?
- If you are an elderly or disabled homeowner, you will be required to provide income documentation such as a copy of your tax return, Social Security documentation, 1099, W-2 etc.
****Disabled Veterans are not required to show proof of income.
- You will need a valid ID
- Proof of residency
- Proof of age
How is Veteran Disability Rating determined?
- You must be rated permanently and totally disabled on or before 12/31 of the current year.
- Determination of eligibility for a homeowner who is a disabled veteran or widow(er) of a disabled veteran will be made based on information provided by the VA through use of consent forms. If you are applying as a disabled veteran, you will need to complete additional forms at the county trustee’s office or the city collection office.
- The address that you are applying for must be used as your primary residence.
- Contact Veterans Affairs at 1-800-827-1000