Service name

Service description.


Deadline to apply is xyz.


  • x
  • y
  • z

Who can apply

  • x
  • y
  • z

Steps to apply

  • x
  • y
  • z


For questions or support, contact:

  • Phone: 555-555-5555
  • Email:

Frequently asked questions

Tax relief is a Tennessee state law that provides for property tax relief for low-income elderly (must be 65 by 12/31 of the current year) and disabled homeowners, as well as disabled veteran homeowners or their surviving spouse. This is a state program that is funded by appropriations authorized by the General Assembly.

Applications must be completed annually and submitted by the collecting agency.

  • Tax collecting officials, including county trustees, receive applications from taxpayers who may qualify. These applications are sent to the State of Tennessee for approval.
  • If you are an elderly or disabled homeowner, you will be required to provide income documentation such as a copy of your tax return, Social Security documentation, 1099, W-2 etc.

****Disabled Veterans are not required to show proof of income.

  • You will need a valid ID
  • Proof of residency
  • Proof of age
  • You must be rated permanently and totally disabled on or before 12/31 of the current year.
  • Determination of eligibility for a homeowner who is a disabled veteran or widow(er) of a disabled veteran will be made based on information provided by the VA through use of consent forms. If you are applying as a disabled veteran, you will need to complete additional forms at the county trustee’s office or the city collection office.
  • The address that you are applying for must be used as your primary residence.
  • Contact Veterans Affairs at 1-800-827-1000

City Property Tax

You can pay your City Property Tax online, in person, or by mail. To Pay online just click here.

You can also pay by phone 1-855-963-9337

County Property Tax

You can pay your Tipton County Property Tax online. Just click here.

Posted solicitations are separated into two generalized categories:  Request for Proposals (RFP) and Request for Quotes (RFQ)/Invitation for Bid (IFB)

All solicitations over $10,000 will be posted in local newspaper (The Leader) and online at unless it an emergency service or product needed. They may also be emailed out to local contractors or those that have requested to be included based on product or service requested.

To learn more click here.

Access our Vendor Registration page here.

Permanent address changes must be made at the Tipton County Assessor office. 901-476-0213

The appeal process begins in the county assessor’s office by appearing before the Local Board of Equalization.  This board meets annually beginning the first Monday in June.  Appointments can be made by contacting the assessor’s office at 901-476-0213 or visiting their web site at .

Interest of 1.5 percent per month is added to your tax amount the first day of each month beginning March 1.  Mailed payments must be postmarked before March 1 to be considered on time. Office meter dates are not acceptable for mail-in payments.

The Tipton County Assessor is responsible for the appraisal and assessment of property.  The County Trustee nor the City has any authority over the amount of assessments, nor can they be involved in the appraisal process.

The taxes that become payable in October cover the current calendar year January 1 through December 31.

Property taxes are due paid in full by February 28th of each year.  Taxes not paid in full will receive a 1.5% interest charge each month until paid in full.

You will receive your property tax bill in October of each year.

All library staff are certified TWRA test proctors. We ask that you come in at least an hour before the library closes in order to give yourself plenty of time to finish the test. You must bring your permit with you and your photo ID. Permits can be purchased from any business that sells hunting and fishing licenses (WalMart, Haddads, bait shops, etc.) for $10.00.

We have an ongoing book sale. You can fill a bag of books for $1.00. DVD’s are $1.00 each.

You can renew your materials three (3) times as long as there are no other patrons on hold for them. Items can be renewed online, in person or over the phone

We accept all book and movie donations with the exception of textbooks and encyclopedias.

You must visit the library in person to receive a library card. We require one form of photo identification. Persons six (6) years of age or older may receive their own card.

Due Date

Your utility bill is payable in full by the 15th of the month.

Paid after the 15th

A 10% late fee will be applied to any balance not paid by the 15th.

Delinquent Date

In addition service is subject to disconnection without further notice for any balance still remaining after the 24th of each month. A delinquent service penalty of $50 will be incurred at 8:00 a.m. on the 25th of the month. The balance must be paid in full before service will be restored.

You can view the 2019 Water Quality report here.

A Beer Permit is required to sell beer in the city of Munford.  A completed application, background check thorough understanding of the Beer Ordinance and its requirements for holding a beer license, and an appearance in front of the beer board are required.  Our board requires all employees of a business be trained via the state’s Responsible Beer Vendor Training Program (online).

Beer Ordinance

Background Check Instructions



Useful Tips

Munford Public Works encourages its customers to take the following precautions to reduce the risk of freezing pipes that can burst.

Vulnerable Pipes

If you have pipes that are vulnerable to freezing, allow a small trickle of water to run overnight to keep pipes from freezing. The cost of the extra water is low compared to the cost to repair a broken pipe.


Know what areas of your home, such as basements, crawl spaces, unheated rooms and outside walls, are most vulnerable to freezing. Caulk around door frames and windows and around pipes where they enter the house to reduce incoming cold.


Eliminate sources of cold air near water lines by repairing broken windows, insulating walls, closing off crawl spaces and eliminating drafts near doors. Close all air vents located in the foundation wall.


Protect your pipes. Wrap exposed pipes with insulation or use electrical heat tracing wire; newspaper or fabric may also work. Remove, drain and store hoses used outdoors.


Open cabinet doors to expose pipes to warmer room temperatures to help keep them from freezing.

Unheated Space

If you have an attached garage, keep its doors shut. Occasionally, plumbing is routed through this unheated space, leaving it vulnerable.

Water Shut Off

Know where your homes primary water shut-off valve is located. If a pipe freezes or bursts, shut the water off immediately.

In-Ground Sprinklers

Drain in-ground sprinkler systems: Check the manufacturer’s instructions for the best way to do this.


Insulate backflow devices: wrap exposed pipes and device with insulation outdoor backflow devices should have a “hot box” and use electrical heat tracing wire to prevent freezing.

Homeowners should take precautions to help protect their property from damage. Weatherproofing your home against the cold will help protect your indoor plumbing against the threat of breaks.

The City of Munford currently has 4 notary publics.  3 are located at Munford City Hall and 1 located at the Munford Tipton County Memorial Library.

Online Registration

ActiveNet – Online Recreation Activities (

For additional questions about our seasonal sports program registration please contact Munford Parks and Recreation Department at 901-837-5965.

The current sports schedule is available by contacting the Munford Parks and Recreation Department at 901-837-5965.

You can request to rent park space by contacting the Munford Parks and Recreation Department at 901-837-5965.  Space is rented on a first come first serve basis.

The Munford Police Department is happy to assist you in installing your car seat properly.  Please call 901-837-5980 to schedule a time.

The Munford Tipton County Memorial Library always has openings for Volunteers.  Please contact the library at 901-837-2665.

Celebrate Munford has positions open for Volunteers year-round.  If you are interested in joining this committee, contact the Celebrate Committee at 901-837-5963.

The City of Munford only accepts applications for employment when we have a position open and posted. If we have any open positions, at this time you can view them here.

A permit must be applied for and approved before a business sign can be placed, replaced, or changed.

You can access the sign permit here.

Businesses must obtain a business license from the Tipton County Clerk Office located at 220 U.S. Highway 51 N, Covington TN 38019.

Here are some helpful links:

Steps to starting a business in  Tipton County, Tennessee

Tipton County Business License Online Application

South Tipton County Chamber of Commerce

The City’s budget is prepared on a fiscal year basis (for the period beginning July 1 and ending June 30 of the following year). Planning and preparation of the next year’s budget begins in January.  It is usually completed in April and ready for the Board’s approval.

The City of Munford is audited annually by an independent certified public accounting firm as required by state law. The Division of Local Government Audit monitors our audits by approving the Contract to Audit and reviewing the completed audit reports.

The City’s fiscal year begins on July 1 and ends June 30.

Responsibilities include financial planning and reporting, taxation, utility billing and receipts, payroll, retirement, insurance, debt management, risk management, purchasing, fixed assets and record retention.

The Finance Department manages the city’s financial affairs.  All receipts and disbursements are administered through this department.


You must be 18 years old and live with-in a reasonable proximity of Munford Fire Department.


Call Headquarters @ 901-837-5960 and speak with Chief Reeves for more information.

No, All Community service hours are scheduled through the Park & Recreation Department.

No, as per state requirements, all water must be metered, so we can’t fill pools.

How to Request

To request a burn permit, please call 837-5960 the day you wish to burn. There is no cost for the burn permit. Burn permits are only good for the day of issuance.

Burning is not allowed until a permit number is issued.


Conditions of permit include, but are not limited to the following:

  • Burn on class A materials (paper, wood, brush) All plastics, rubber, household trash is strictly forbidden.
  • Burn pile must be no larger than 10 feet in diameter.
  • Burn pile must be no closer than 50feet from any structure or combustible item such as a wood fence, Shed, etc.
  • Extinguishing agent must be present at all times (water hose, fire extinguisher, rake, etc.)
  • Fire shall be fully extinguished by dark when the permit expires.
  • Complaints of burn may result in revoking of permit.
  • Adults of at least 18 years of age must be present during burn at all times.
  • Wind speed of 15 MPH or gusty winds or dry conditions – permit will NOT be issued.


CPR Classes

We teach CPR classes from the American Heart Association curriculum.


We teach classes on Tuesdays and Saturdays @ 9:00 am. Please call Headquarters at 901-837-5960 to schedule a class.

Cost for classes

Classes range from $50 – $75 per student depending on what class is needed.


The Munford Fire Department has a Class 4 rating.

Fix the leak

The leak must be repaired prior to requesting an adjustment.

Provide a receipt

A receipt for the repair must be provided, at the time of the adjustment request.

What is adjusted?

We do not offer adjustments on water usage, only for sewer, which is based off of water usage.

What if I don’t have sewer?

You would not qualify for an adjustment.

Adjustment process time

Adjustment requests are processed, as received and after researching your account history usage. Once a request has been submitted you will be asked to provide a good phone number, so we may call you with the details of the adjustment.

Immediate response to gas leaks is essential

To ensure that public safety is maintained. Do not delay. Do not ignore gas odors. Using the guidelines below can help you deal with any potential gas leaks.

Natural gas has no odor. Gas companies add a harmless chemical called mercaptan to give it its distinctive “rotten egg” smell.

If you smell gas near an appliance

It may be just a pilot light that has gone out or a burner valve that is open slightly. If you find this problem and can fix it, the problem may be solved.

If you smell gas inside:

Go to a phone that is not near the smell and call your local gas company right away. (If the smell is strong or you are unsure, leave the building and then call (901) 837-0171.) They will come and make the area safe at no charge to you. While waiting for the gas company field service representative:

  • Keep everyone away from the area of the odor.
  • Don’t smoke or strike any matches.
  • Don’t light any candles.
  • Don’t flip light switches on or off.
  • Don’t use a telephone.
  • Don’t use any electrical equipment or lights that might create a spark in the area of the odor.
  • Don’t use the doorbell.
  • Don’t adjust thermostats or appliance controls.
  • Don’t use elevators.
  • Put out all open flames.

If the odor is strong

Leave the premises immediately and tell others to leave. Then, call (901) 837-0171 from a neighbor’s home.

Outside gas odors 

Should be reported right away – do not try to locate the source yourself. If you smell or hear escaping gas:
  • Don’t position or operate vehicles or powered equipment where leaking gas may be present.

If you hear the sound of escaping gas, follow these steps:

  • Telephone 901) 837-0171 immediately from a neighbor’s phone.
  • Don’t go back inside your home or building until you have been notified it is safe.
  • Keep others away from the area.
The City of Munford provides 24-hour emergency service every day of the year to provide immediate response to emergencies such as natural gas leaks. There is no charge to stop gas leaks.

NEVER turn the gas back on once it has been shut off due to a safety concern. Call your local gas company for assistance.

All repairs to gas lines on your premises must be made in accordance with local regulations, by a licensed plumber where required or by your local gas company.

Silence the alarm

Locate the alarm box on the exterior of your home and push the red button to silence the alarm. The red light will stay on as long as there is an alarm condition.

VERY IMPORTANT — Call (901) 837-0171 to report a STEP alarm condition, regardless of day or time — unless your alarm went off during a power outage (see info below for a power outage). Or if your STEP system has just been serviced by the City’s personnel.

Alarm Sounding Following a Power Outage

Your STEP alarm may sound after power has returned following an outage. If this happens, you only need to silence the alarm. You DO NOT need to call the City unless your tank is overflowing or the alarm light stays on for more than 6 hours.

No, we do not make water or sewer adjustments for filling a pool. One option could be to have an auxiliary water meter set specifically for filling the pool or use, with a sprinkler system. There is no sewer charge associated with water used on an auxiliary water meter.

Deck permits are required by the City of Munford only if the deck exceeds 200 square feet, or if is more than 30 inches above grade or if it is attached to a dwelling.

No, the City of Munford does not require a permit for indoor remodeling, unless there is an alteration to a load bearing wall or the addition of any plumbing.

Yes, the City of Munford requires permits for sheds, outbuildings and portable carports.  Sheds, outbuildings and portable carports must be in the rear yard only.  They must be 5 feet from the property line and any other existing building.

Yes.  The City of Munford requires a permit for any fence that is 6 feet or taller, per Resolution 2017-08-01.

The City of Munford requires a permit to be issued for any pool that is over 24 inches tall per Resolution 2017-08-01.

NEVER give out your personal information (birthdate, social security number, drivers license number, bank information, credit card information), over the phone! If you are asked for this information over the phone from someone other than your insurance company or a medical facility, it is most likely some type of scam.

Contact the Tipton County Jail (901) 475-3305.

Contact your insurance company and advise them that you were involved in a crash, in the city limits of Munford, TN. Your insurance company will request a copy of the crash report from the police department.

Call (901) 837-5980 and verify it is ready and can be released. If it is an ongoing investigation or court case, the report cannot be released.

You have a few options to report missed trash  pickup.

If you are unsure of your trash pick up day you can send an email to or call (901) 837-0171.

Tipton County Landfill

Tipton County Public Works operates a Class III / IV Landfill in Brighton.  The landfill is located approximately 0.70 mile South of our main office.  We also operate a Convenience and Recycling Center at the same location.  Click here for a brief description of materials that are accepted at these facilities.  Permits are required for entry and use of the landfill or convenience center.  A permit may be obtained at Tipton County Public Works or you may print out a form here and mail.

Election Commission

The Tipton County Election Commission can provide you with election information and is updated often. To visit their website click here.

Election Commission

The Tipton County Election Commission can provide you with election information on how to vote, electoral candidates, and how to register to vote. To visit their website click here.

Election Commission

The Tipton County Election Commission can provide you with election information on how to vote, electoral candidates, and how to register to vote. To visit their website click here.

You can obtain a Building Permit by completing the building permit application on line, or by visiting City Hall.

You can request to rent park space by contacting the Munford Parks and Recreation Department at 901-837-5965.  Space is rented on a first come first serve basis. For more details click here.

For police related non-emergencies you should call dispatch at (901) 475-4300.

To file a Police report you should first call dispatch at (901) 475-4300 for non-emergency related issues. If it is an emergency please dial 911.

Munford Schools

One of the reasons Munford remains “My Kind of Town” is its excellent schools. From the award-winning FFA to the nationally recognized Munford High School Marching Band, Munford boasts three of the finest schools in Tipton County. The community supports the student’s academic efforts and helps boost the Munford pride in a number of ways; you can find most residents at Dr. Sid Witherington Stadium on autumn Friday nights rooting for our Munford Cougar football team. A short drive around town will show you a number of maroon and white yard signs showing support of an athlete, cheerleader, or marching band member.

Below you can find the contact information as well as links to the websites of each one of our schools. If you need more information, please contact the school or the Tipton County Board of Education.

Tipton County School System
1580 Highway 51 South
Covington, TN 38019
Phone (901) 476-7148
Fax (901) 476-4870

Munford Elementary School
1200 McLaughlin Drive
Munford, Tennessee 38058
Phone (901) 837-0152
Fax (901) 837-5778

Munford Middle School
100 Education Avenue
Munford Tennessee 38058
Phone: (901) 837-1700
Fax (901) 837-5749

Munford High School
1080 McLaughlin Drive
Munford, Tennessee 38058
Phone: ( 901) 837-0173
Fax: ( 901) 837-5729

You can take recycling materials to the Tipton County Landfill. Be sure to visit their website for more details.

In person

You may apply for a marriage license through the Tipton County Clerks office.

 Online Printable Application

You may also fill out an online printable application for a Marriage License. The online printable application may be found by clicking here.

Payment info

In person

You may pay your bill, at City Hall during normal business hours  or using our drive thru (bill is required at the drive thru).

Drop Box

We have a drop box (night depository) located right by the drive thru window, in case you need to make a payment after hours.

Pay Online

You can pay online using our online payment option.

By Mail

You can mail your payment to the address listed below.

1397 Munford Avenue

Munford, TN 38058

Pay by phone

You may pay your bill by phone, by calling (855) 969-7394. You will need to have your account number and a convenience fee will be applied.

ACH bank draft

You will need to fill out our ACH bank draft form and turn it in. Bill payments are deducted from your checking account, on the 15th of each month.

You can report a housing code violation using our online form.

Municipal codes can be found, on the Code Enforcement page. Click here.


You may come to court and discuss your citation, before the judge and pay your ticket then. If you can not pay that day you may request for a payment arrangement to be paid, at a later date.

Pay by mail

You may mail your payment in. Be sure you know the exact amount to send (it must be correct), send check or money order, and supply a valid phone number to contact you in case it is needed.

Pay in person

You may pay in person, by check, cash, or money order.


You may come to court on your scheduled court date and discuss your citation, before the judge.

Close window