Utility FAQs

Utility FAQs

Due Date

Your utility bill is payable in full by the 15th of the month.

Paid after the 15th

A 10% late fee will be applied to any balance not paid by the 15th.

Delinquent Date

In addition service is subject to disconnection without further notice for any balance still remaining after the 24th of each month. A delinquent service penalty of $50 will be incurred at 8:00 a.m. on the 25th of the month. The balance must be paid in full before service will be restored.

You can view the 2019 Water Quality report here.

Useful Tips

Munford Public Works encourages its customers to take the following precautions to reduce the risk of freezing pipes that can burst.

Vulnerable Pipes

If you have pipes that are vulnerable to freezing, allow a small trickle of water to run overnight to keep pipes from freezing. The cost of the extra water is low compared to the cost to repair a broken pipe.


Know what areas of your home, such as basements, crawl spaces, unheated rooms and outside walls, are most vulnerable to freezing. Caulk around door frames and windows and around pipes where they enter the house to reduce incoming cold.


Eliminate sources of cold air near water lines by repairing broken windows, insulating walls, closing off crawl spaces and eliminating drafts near doors. Close all air vents located in the foundation wall.


Protect your pipes. Wrap exposed pipes with insulation or use electrical heat tracing wire; newspaper or fabric may also work. Remove, drain and store hoses used outdoors.


Open cabinet doors to expose pipes to warmer room temperatures to help keep them from freezing.

Unheated Space

If you have an attached garage, keep its doors shut. Occasionally, plumbing is routed through this unheated space, leaving it vulnerable.

Water Shut Off

Know where your homes primary water shut-off valve is located. If a pipe freezes or bursts, shut the water off immediately.

In-Ground Sprinklers

Drain in-ground sprinkler systems: Check the manufacturer’s instructions for the best way to do this.


Insulate backflow devices: wrap exposed pipes and device with insulation outdoor backflow devices should have a “hot box” and use electrical heat tracing wire to prevent freezing.

Homeowners should take precautions to help protect their property from damage. Weatherproofing your home against the cold will help protect your indoor plumbing against the threat of breaks.

Fix the leak

The leak must be repaired prior to requesting an adjustment.

Provide a receipt

A receipt for the repair must be provided, at the time of the adjustment request.

What is adjusted?

We do not offer adjustments on water usage, only for sewer, which is based off of water usage.

What if I don’t have sewer?

You would not qualify for an adjustment.

Adjustment process time

Adjustment requests are processed, as received and after researching your account history usage. Once a request has been submitted you will be asked to provide a good phone number, so we may call you with the details of the adjustment.

Immediate response to gas leaks is essential

To ensure that public safety is maintained. Do not delay. Do not ignore gas odors. Using the guidelines below can help you deal with any potential gas leaks.

Natural gas has no odor. Gas companies add a harmless chemical called mercaptan to give it its distinctive “rotten egg” smell.

If you smell gas near an appliance

It may be just a pilot light that has gone out or a burner valve that is open slightly. If you find this problem and can fix it, the problem may be solved.

If you smell gas inside:

Go to a phone that is not near the smell and call your local gas company right away. (If the smell is strong or you are unsure, leave the building and then call (901) 837-0171.) They will come and make the area safe at no charge to you. While waiting for the gas company field service representative:

  • Keep everyone away from the area of the odor.
  • Don’t smoke or strike any matches.
  • Don’t light any candles.
  • Don’t flip light switches on or off.
  • Don’t use a telephone.
  • Don’t use any electrical equipment or lights that might create a spark in the area of the odor.
  • Don’t use the doorbell.
  • Don’t adjust thermostats or appliance controls.
  • Don’t use elevators.
  • Put out all open flames.

If the odor is strong

Leave the premises immediately and tell others to leave. Then, call (901) 837-0171 from a neighbor’s home.

Outside gas odors 

Should be reported right away – do not try to locate the source yourself. If you smell or hear escaping gas:
  • Don’t position or operate vehicles or powered equipment where leaking gas may be present.

If you hear the sound of escaping gas, follow these steps:

  • Telephone 901) 837-0171 immediately from a neighbor’s phone.
  • Don’t go back inside your home or building until you have been notified it is safe.
  • Keep others away from the area.
The City of Munford provides 24-hour emergency service every day of the year to provide immediate response to emergencies such as natural gas leaks. There is no charge to stop gas leaks.

NEVER turn the gas back on once it has been shut off due to a safety concern. Call your local gas company for assistance.

All repairs to gas lines on your premises must be made in accordance with local regulations, by a licensed plumber where required or by your local gas company.

Silence the alarm

Locate the alarm box on the exterior of your home and push the red button to silence the alarm. The red light will stay on as long as there is an alarm condition.

VERY IMPORTANT — Call (901) 837-0171 to report a STEP alarm condition, regardless of day or time — unless your alarm went off during a power outage (see info below for a power outage). Or if your STEP system has just been serviced by the City’s personnel.

Alarm Sounding Following a Power Outage

Your STEP alarm may sound after power has returned following an outage. If this happens, you only need to silence the alarm. You DO NOT need to call the City unless your tank is overflowing or the alarm light stays on for more than 6 hours.

No, we do not make water or sewer adjustments for filling a pool. One option could be to have an auxiliary water meter set specifically for filling the pool or use, with a sprinkler system. There is no sewer charge associated with water used on an auxiliary water meter.

If you are unsure of your trash pick up day you can send an email to trash@munford.com or call (901) 837-0171.

You can take recycling materials to the Tipton County Landfill. Be sure to visit their website for more details.

Payment info

In person

You may pay your bill, at City Hall during normal business hours  or using our drive thru (bill is required at the drive thru).

Drop Box

We have a drop box (night depository) located right by the drive thru window, in case you need to make a payment after hours.

Pay Online

You can pay online using our online payment option.

By Mail

You can mail your payment to the address listed below.

1397 Munford Avenue

Munford, TN 38058

Pay by phone

You may pay your bill by phone, by calling (855) 969-7394. You will need to have your account number and a convenience fee will be applied.

ACH bank draft

You will need to fill out our ACH bank draft form and turn it in. Bill payments are deducted from your checking account, on the 15th of each month.

Close window