Immediate response to gas leaks is essential
To ensure that public safety is maintained. Do not delay. Do not ignore gas odors. Using the guidelines below can help you deal with any potential gas leaks.
If you smell gas near an appliance
If you smell gas inside:
Go to a phone that is not near the smell and call your local gas company right away. (If the smell is strong or you are unsure, leave the building and then call (901) 837-0171.) They will come and make the area safe at no charge to you. While waiting for the gas company field service representative:
- Keep everyone away from the area of the odor.
- Don’t smoke or strike any matches.
- Don’t light any candles.
- Don’t flip light switches on or off.
- Don’t use a telephone.
- Don’t use any electrical equipment or lights that might create a spark in the area of the odor.
- Don’t use the doorbell.
- Don’t adjust thermostats or appliance controls.
- Don’t use elevators.
- Put out all open flames.
If the odor is strong
Outside gas odors
- Don’t position or operate vehicles or powered equipment where leaking gas may be present.
If you hear the sound of escaping gas, follow these steps:
- Telephone 901) 837-0171 immediately from a neighbor’s phone.
- Don’t go back inside your home or building until you have been notified it is safe.
- Keep others away from the area.
NEVER turn the gas back on once it has been shut off due to a safety concern. Call your local gas company for assistance.