Effective January 1, 2014, a business located in Tennessee that has between $3,000 and $10,000 in annual sales can obtain a minimal activity license from the county clerk. This license does not require a business tax return to be filed each year. You can either apply for another minimal activity license each year or let the previous one expire. The annual fee for a minimal activity license is $15.00.
A business that has annual sales of more than $10,000 each year is required to obtain a county business license. This license is renewable by the 15th day of May each year thru the Tennessee Department of Revenue. The initial fee to obtain a business license is $15.00.
A business located within the city limits of Covington, Brighton & Mason, must also obtain a city license.
To apply for a Tipton County business license online click here.
To renew your business tax online thru the Department of Revenue's website click here.
For business tax return forms click here or for questions call (615) 253-0600 or 1-800-342-1003.
MOTOR VEHICLE FORMS
- Acceptable Proofs of Residency
- Affidavit of Inheritance Application
- Gift Affidavit of Non-Dealer Transfers of Motor Vehicles or Boats
- Affidavit of Non-Operation
- Affidavit of Replacement Plate or Decal
- Blank Affidavit
- Boat Bill of Sale
- Vehicle/Boat Bill of Sale - Notarized
- Certificate of Antique Registration
- Certificate of Ownership
- Certificate of Sales under Special Condition
- Disabled Persons License Application (Plate and/or Placard)
- Duplicate Title Application
- Leased Vehicle Application (Owners Authorization to Lessee)
- Motor Vehicle Bill of Sale
- Multipurpose Form (for Title, Noting of Lien and Duplicate Title Application)
- Noting of Lien Application
- Notice of Discharge of Lien Application
- Odometer Disclosure Statement
- Odometer Discrepancy Certification
- Personalized Plate Application
- Power of Attorney for Vehicle Transactions
- VIN Verification
MARRIAGE LICENSE FORMS
- Certification of Completion (Premarital Preparation Course)
GENEALOGY INFO Marriages are recorded in Tipton County for the years 1840 – present. To request copies you must submit in writing the name of the groom, bride, and the date of the marriage. The fee for said copy is $5.00 per copy.
Marriage Records Lookup
Wills or probate records in Tipton County Clerk’s office may be obtained for the years 1823 – 1982. The fees for these copies are $5.00 per copy. If you desire certified copies a fee is $10.00 is applicable. If you desire copies of wills after the year of 1982, you must contact the Tipton County Chancery Court at (901) 476-0209, as probate was transferred to that office in 1982.
Divorce records in the Tipton County Clerk’s office may be obtained for the years 1823 – 1966. The fee for these copies is $5.00. If you desire certified copies a fee of $10.00 is applicable. If you desire copies of divorces after 1966, you must contact the Tipton County Chancery Court at (901) 476-0209 or Tipton County Circuit Court at (901) 475-3310, as divorces were transferred in 1966 to these courts.
County Court (County Legislative Body/County Commission) minutes are recorded in this office for the years of 1823 – present. To obtain copies, you must call and give a description of the minutes desired. A different fee is applicable to each type of minute copies desired. LOCATIONS, HOURS & HOLIDAYS (Holiday Schedule)
COVINGTON 220 Highway 51 N, Suite 2 Covington, TN 38019 Office: 901-476-0207 Fax: 901-476-0297 Monday – Friday 8:00 – 5:00
MUNFORD Munford City Hall 1397 Munford Avenue Munford, TN 38058 Office: 901-837-5967 Fax: 901-837-5968 Open Every Wednesday 8:30 – 4:30
The fee to renew a passenger vehicle is $85.00 in the office. If you are mailing in your renewal, the fee is $87.00(extra $2.00 is for postage).
The application for a title to a vehicle is $11.00. The total fee for a new title and license plate is $96.00. If you would rather have a specialty plate, then you will need to add an additional $36.00 to the $96.00 fee. Transfer of a tag and application for title is $17.50. If an individual purchases a vehicle from a dealer in TN, sales tax is paid to the dealer; otherwise the sales tax is paid to the County Clerk’s office. Replacement titles for current registered vehicles can be processed by the owner at the Covington location. The replacement fee is $11.00. New residents to Tennessee will need the following:
- Two Proofs of Residency for Tipton County. Click here for acceptable proofs of residency. - If there is a lien on the vehicle, please bring in your current registration from that state and your security agreement or payment book showing leinholder.
- If there is no lien, you will need to bring in your title from that state. A donation of $1 to promote Organ Donor Awareness is optional.
Click the above picture to view specialty license plates and funding the arts in Tennessee.
MARRIAGE Marriage Record Lookup
The license fee is $97.50. The cost is reduced to $37.50, if the couple completes a premarital preparation course from a qualified instructor and submits the Certificate of Completion form when applying for the license.
Social Security card must be shown or proof of foreign status.
Both the bride and groom must appear in the office to sign the permanent record book.
There is no waiting period. The license must be used within 30 days from the date of issue.
The State of Tennessee does not require a blood test.
Both parties must be 18 years of age or older. A driver’s license or certified copy of birth certificate is required for identification.
A license issued in Tipton County is valid throughout the United States.
NOTARY PUBLIC Notary Publics are elected by the County Commission for a four (4) year term. The County Commission meets on the second Monday of each month to elect Notary Publics.
The notary application, $10,000 insurance bond and $16.00 fee should be submitted in person to the County Clerk's office by 12:00 noon prior to the meeting of the County Commission.
Additional information Tennessee Notary Public HandbookRead more at http://www.tiptonco.com/government/county_clerk/index.php#wpHTekZtsjzIfHyY.99